by Holly Goldberg Sloan
Summary: Willow Chance is a twelve-year-old genius. She doesn't get along well with others and prefers to keep company with plants or with her loving, accepting parents. In addition to master gardener, Willow is also a walking medical dictionary, always ready to diagnose a medical condition whether the "patient" is ready or not. Finding comfort in nature, knowledge and counting, Willow leads a quiet but happy life.
But, then her world changes in a tragic instant. Willow must now find a way to continue on in an unsettling existence where counting by 7s will no longer bring her the comfort she needs.
Thoughts: Counting by 7s is a unique book about a unique girl. I immediately fell in love with Willow Chance and her quirks; she is brilliant and funny and provides wise insight into the world. Author Holly Goldberg Sloan tells the story of this odd but charming heroine in her distinct, lovely writing style. It is hilarious, thought-provoking, heartbreaking, and inspiring. The tragedy of the story ultimately becomes a triumph because of this special girl. It reminds us of the impact one person can make on so many lives. Counting by 7s is a powerful, inspiring novel to be enjoyed by readers of all ages.
Read Counting by 7s, if you ...
- enjoyed Wonder (R.J. Palacio), Mockingbird (K. Erskine), Anything but Typical (N.R. Baskin),or Out of My Mind (S. Draper).
- read Holly Goldberg Sloan's exquisite book, I'll Be There
- like books with unique, quirky, memorable characters
- have ever felt like an outsider or a loner
- enjoy stories of kids overcoming obstacles, differences, and loss
- appreciate excellent writing